At the KAK factory we have been watching the presidential campaigns with our egg whisks in one hand and sugar beater in the other. We only know how to make sense of this election doing what we do best: making some kick ass kakes. To get ready for November, we made a kick ass Hillary kake… and because we know he hates being left out of things, we made a kick ass Donald kake too. You’d actually be surprised at how easy it was to replicate his silky golden locks. What a bit of spun sugar can do!
Watch Cory Mccluskey at Fox 10 News take a bite out of the Donald’s hair here:
Even though it’s hot, Jay just happens to know a trick to make the heat delicious. Check out this video where Jay shows Arizona Midday host Destry how to bake a cake on a grill using ingredients you already have in your kitchen. So while you fire up that bbq and grill up some delicious burgers and hotdogs, also grill up some pineapple rum upside down cake!
Pineapple Rum Upside Down Cake Recipe:
1 ½ Tablespoon butter softened
5 pineapple ring slices
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup butter softened
1 cup sugar
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 ½ cup all purpose flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
¼ cup buttermilk
¼ cup pineapple juice (or rum)
Large mixing bowl
8” round cake pan
10” round cake pan
- Preheat grill to 350 degrees
- Spread first butter amount in bottom of 8” pan, sprinkle with brown sugar
- Place pineapple rings in a circle flat in pan
- In mixing bowl beat second amount of butter, salt and sugar with whisk until combined
- Add 1 egg and beat add second egg and beat
- Stir in vanilla
- Add the baking powder and ½ cup of the flour and mix, add the milk and mix and ½ cup the flour and mix, add the juice (or rum) mix and add the remaining flour and mix
- Pour over the pineapple slices and spread evenly
- Cover pan with aluminum foil and make a few holes in top
- Adjust grill so coals or burners are off in the center but on around the sides (indirect heat)
- Make an aluminum foil snake and coil it in the bottom of the 10” pan
- Place the cake on top and press to make it level
- Place in middle of grill and close lid
- Bake for 20 minutes, check and remove the foil
- Bake for additional 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in center of cake
Users can design a cake online and pick up from the store later.
For anyone whose watched Cake Wars or Top Chef and aspired to design a cake that causes more gasps then groans, The KAK Shop (www.thekakshop.com) has just given DIYers their dream come true. Phoenix’s award winning cake shop has just merged digital technology with eggs, butter and sugar. Today, a brand new feature called Kustom Kake Maker was launched that allows users to customize thousands of different cake designs right from a desktop or smart phone.
Simply browse to thekakshop.com website, use the design tools, pay for the cake online and pick it up at the store later. From the top line menu of the website, users are directed to a colorful screen where they can build their own design and see it exactly as it will look as the finished product. The site offers numerous selections to assist with building a custom one-of-a-kind cake, which includes:
• Shape – round or square,
• Tiers – two or three tier cake.
• Topper – age, bows and stars.
• Message – create a message on board or on plaque
• Decoration – butter cream and fondant
• Flavor – vanilla, chocolate, red velvet, lemon, strawberry, marble
• Filling – vanilla buttercream, chocolate buttercream, Strawberry buttercream, raspberry buttercream, lemon buttercream, cream cheese buttercream, peanut butter buttercream, strawberry, raspberry.
• Serving size – 20, 25, 35, 40, 50, 60, 75
• Cake color – white, black, various reds, purple, various pinks, various blues, yellow, green, and orange.
• Border – normal, pearls, and band • Pattern – checkered, chevron, diamonds, dots, flowers, stripes, swirls, zebra, and circles.
The Kustom Kake Maker is unique as it allows users to click on the features they want on their cake so they can see the countless options as they go and they will know exactly what the cake will look like when they pick it up.
There is a minimum of a seven day lead time when ordering the cake. Cakes are priced by servings in either buttercream covered or fondant. According to Central Phoenix Mom Tara Allen, “There is that “OH NO” moment that every busy mom has when it’s a week before the party and you forgot to order a cake!” “Knowing I can jump online, design exactly what I want and forget about it until it’s time to pick it up? I love it.”
The KAK Shop owner Jay Murphy said, “I want to be the UBER of custom cake designs. Let’s disrupt the status quo and give people what they want. They want cake and they want it their way and they want it now! This does that.”
Murphy, recognized for setting the bar for unparalleled realism—whether a six foot Lady Gaga cake or a multi-tiered-tea-cup-Alice in Wonderland Cake kept hearing from customers that they wished they had some way to easily draw the kind of cake they wanted him to make for them. One day, when using a draw app on his phone, the idea struck him to use technology to help his customers to do what they’ve wanted to do for years. And the Kustom Kake Maker was born. ###
The way to someone’s heart is through their stomach, and one of the best forms of expression is through food, particularly cake. Cake is the perfect combination of self-expression, art, and celebration and it is something that brings our lives full-circle. We have cake on our first birthday, our last and everything in-between. From your Barbie cake on your sixth birthday to your cake on your college graduation, you let your personality come out in the form of frosting and flour. Cake shouldn’t have to wait until a first birthday though. A baby shower is the perfect opportunity for some cake, even more so, it is the perfect opportunity to reveal the gender of your baby. Using an ultrasound to tell your friends and family if you are having a boy or a girl is old fashioned, and well, boring. This much anticipated question is best answered in the form of food so it touches the hearts of your friends and families. Allowing friends and family to take part in something that involves your personality and your creativity will set the tone for the baby shower and even your baby. Solving a mystery with food is exciting and memorable, meaning everyone will remember your shower and more importantly, your baby. A baby shower should be fun, and so should your cake. There are so many ways to reveal the gender of your baby through cake, never leaving a dull moment at your baby shower.
- Multicolored cake – cake is in the shape of blue and pink gift packages with one section of the cake holding the reveal.
- Single layer cake – pink or blue cream on the inside will reveal the gender.
- Hidden object – a blue or pink egg, a mustache or lips, a bow or a bow tie will be hidden in the inside of the cake. One of your guests will discover the reveal when they bite into the cake.
- Cake with cake-pop balloons – one or all pops will reveal the gender. Guests won’t find out until they bite into their cake-pop.
- Kangaroo cake- the kangaroo’s pouch will hold the gender of the baby.
- Hunger Games Lottery cake- an object to pop a balloon will be placed inside of the cake, whoever finds the object gets to pop the balloon filled with blue or pink confetti.
The adult food fight has been an age-old tradition honored by couples around the world. We have all seen it; the couple romantically cutting their first slice of cake together only to shove it in one’s face, leaving cake everywhere. Next thing you know, there is frosting in and on the bride’s dress, while more cake is falling out of her perfectly curled hair, and all over her face, which when wiped off, will smudge her flawless make-up. Some say this tradition brings good luck to the marriage, others say it is just plain rude. Some believe that what the couple does with the cake can determine the success of their marriage. Pastor Kevin A. Thompson predicts marriages based on how they shove the cake in each other’s faces. Some couples are more forceful than loving, or more prideful rather than being playful. His predictions have been mostly accurate. Weather you prefer to wear your cake instead of eat it, or just eat it, a lot of expectations are riding on your cake so make no mistakes.
- Plan – There is nothing more stressful than waiting until the last minute. Give yourself plenty of time to find exactly what you want.
- Test things out – Don’t settle for the first bakery you walk into and don’t settle for the first flavor of cake that you like. Try as many options as you can.
- Pick a bakery – The bakery you choose should fit into your budget and be willing to work with you.
- Pick what YOU want – Pick a cake you and your fiancé love, not one that your mother-in-law likes. This is your day, not hers.
- Flavor and style matter – if you are going to be eating or wearing your cake, it better taste good and look good. It is possible to have a good-looking cake that is also delicious.
- Enjoy it! – Remember to eat your cake, a lot of work went into making sure it was perfect, so enjoy it!
With a perfect cake comes a perfect marriage. At least we can hope so.
How often do people start the New Year with a goal to eat healthier? For whatever length of time it lasts, we applaud your effort. Though it makes us sad to see people deprive themselves of perfectly good dessert, we try to be supportive. On the flip side, if being gluten-free or vegan is your resolution, KAK is your new best friend!
I can’t count how many times I’ve heard that our kakes are “too pretty to eat.” If you can’t bring yourself to cut into a cake shaped like a baby or to dig into such an intricately detailed, beautifully handcrafted kake, our scheme to keep you skinny worked. After your friends, family or coworkers dishevel the kake, however, then you’re on your own. Good luck with that. Our kakes are very difficult to refuse. We know from experience.
This year, let’s take another approach to attaining a “healthy lifestyle.” How about we all resolve to enjoy life more, to eat our cake and have it too? Let’s intentionally enjoy each slice of life, take note of its sweetness, and be thankful to the ones who made it possible.
If you missed our clip on Good Morning! Arizona, it’s definitely something you’ll want to see. Jay got to talk about his jaw-dropping and mouth-watering “pumpicapple” pie/cake. That’s three different pies in three layers of cake! Have you ever seen or tasted anything like it?
In addition, check out our cupcake christmas trees DIY ugly sweater cookies and. You’ll be everyone’s favorite party host or attendee when you provide these sweet treats.