kick ass kakes
At the KAK factory we have been watching the presidential campaigns with our egg whisks in one hand and sugar beater in the other. We only know how to make sense of this election doing what we do best: making some kick ass kakes. To get ready for November, we made a kick ass Hillary kake… and because we know he hates being left out of things, we made a kick ass Donald kake too. You’d actually be surprised at how easy it was to replicate his silky golden locks. What a bit of spun sugar can do!
Watch Cory Mccluskey at Fox 10 News take a bite out of the Donald’s hair here:
Even though it’s hot, Jay just happens to know a trick to make the heat delicious. Check out this video where Jay shows Arizona Midday host Destry how to bake a cake on a grill using ingredients you already have in your kitchen. So while you fire up that bbq and grill up some delicious burgers and hotdogs, also grill up some pineapple rum upside down cake!
Pineapple Rum Upside Down Cake Recipe:
1 ½ Tablespoon butter softened
5 pineapple ring slices
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup butter softened
1 cup sugar
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 ½ cup all purpose flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
¼ cup buttermilk
¼ cup pineapple juice (or rum)
Large mixing bowl
8” round cake pan
10” round cake pan
- Preheat grill to 350 degrees
- Spread first butter amount in bottom of 8” pan, sprinkle with brown sugar
- Place pineapple rings in a circle flat in pan
- In mixing bowl beat second amount of butter, salt and sugar with whisk until combined
- Add 1 egg and beat add second egg and beat
- Stir in vanilla
- Add the baking powder and ½ cup of the flour and mix, add the milk and mix and ½ cup the flour and mix, add the juice (or rum) mix and add the remaining flour and mix
- Pour over the pineapple slices and spread evenly
- Cover pan with aluminum foil and make a few holes in top
- Adjust grill so coals or burners are off in the center but on around the sides (indirect heat)
- Make an aluminum foil snake and coil it in the bottom of the 10” pan
- Place the cake on top and press to make it level
- Place in middle of grill and close lid
- Bake for 20 minutes, check and remove the foil
- Bake for additional 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in center of cake
Users can design a cake online and pick up from the store later.
For anyone whose watched Cake Wars or Top Chef and aspired to design a cake that causes more gasps then groans, The KAK Shop (www.thekakshop.com) has just given DIYers their dream come true. Phoenix’s award winning cake shop has just merged digital technology with eggs, butter and sugar. Today, a brand new feature called Kustom Kake Maker was launched that allows users to customize thousands of different cake designs right from a desktop or smart phone.
Simply browse to thekakshop.com website, use the design tools, pay for the cake online and pick it up at the store later. From the top line menu of the website, users are directed to a colorful screen where they can build their own design and see it exactly as it will look as the finished product. The site offers numerous selections to assist with building a custom one-of-a-kind cake, which includes:
• Shape – round or square,
• Tiers – two or three tier cake.
• Topper – age, bows and stars.
• Message – create a message on board or on plaque
• Decoration – butter cream and fondant
• Flavor – vanilla, chocolate, red velvet, lemon, strawberry, marble
• Filling – vanilla buttercream, chocolate buttercream, Strawberry buttercream, raspberry buttercream, lemon buttercream, cream cheese buttercream, peanut butter buttercream, strawberry, raspberry.
• Serving size – 20, 25, 35, 40, 50, 60, 75
• Cake color – white, black, various reds, purple, various pinks, various blues, yellow, green, and orange.
• Border – normal, pearls, and band • Pattern – checkered, chevron, diamonds, dots, flowers, stripes, swirls, zebra, and circles.
The Kustom Kake Maker is unique as it allows users to click on the features they want on their cake so they can see the countless options as they go and they will know exactly what the cake will look like when they pick it up.
There is a minimum of a seven day lead time when ordering the cake. Cakes are priced by servings in either buttercream covered or fondant. According to Central Phoenix Mom Tara Allen, “There is that “OH NO” moment that every busy mom has when it’s a week before the party and you forgot to order a cake!” “Knowing I can jump online, design exactly what I want and forget about it until it’s time to pick it up? I love it.”
The KAK Shop owner Jay Murphy said, “I want to be the UBER of custom cake designs. Let’s disrupt the status quo and give people what they want. They want cake and they want it their way and they want it now! This does that.”
Murphy, recognized for setting the bar for unparalleled realism—whether a six foot Lady Gaga cake or a multi-tiered-tea-cup-Alice in Wonderland Cake kept hearing from customers that they wished they had some way to easily draw the kind of cake they wanted him to make for them. One day, when using a draw app on his phone, the idea struck him to use technology to help his customers to do what they’ve wanted to do for years. And the Kustom Kake Maker was born. ###
If you missed our clip on Good Morning! Arizona, it’s definitely something you’ll want to see. Jay got to talk about his jaw-dropping and mouth-watering “pumpicapple” pie/cake. That’s three different pies in three layers of cake! Have you ever seen or tasted anything like it?
In addition, check out our cupcake christmas trees DIY ugly sweater cookies and. You’ll be everyone’s favorite party host or attendee when you provide these sweet treats.
Who says pie has to be the traditional Thanksgiving dessert? This is the year to mix things up and start new traditions. Some children haven’t acquired that taste for pie, and there are some adults who just simply prefer cake. We certainly do! Though your pants might not fit you by the end of the day, you know what would be fitting? A cake shaped like a turkey, of course.
What are you thankful for? Most likely you said your family, food and football. We want to help you celebrate those things! Give us a picture of your family to create a replica of OR keep it simple and we’ll make a cake that resembles ye ol’ pigskin. The theme can even be catered to your favorite team.
We are thankful for YOU! Thank you for your continued support this year. It feels good to have customers keep coming back and sharing in person or pictures on social media how much they enjoyed the taste and aesthetic appeal of our kick ass kakes!
Wedding cakes really do come in all shapes, sizes and designs. In fact, nothing is off limits in the modern wedding era. If you’re a traditional bride who is looking for a simple white cake decorated with flowers, we can do that. Love a quilted fondant design? We can do that. But if you’re looking for very intricate and hand crafted cake design, we can really do that! Here’s a look at some of our more recent wedding cake designs that are both sleek, unique and personalized to fit any bride’s perfect day.
A fun twist on frosting and color gradients.
Sleek taupe fondant and intricate hand made roses give this cake elegance and relevance.
Macarons are the new cupcake at weddings. This cake is perfect for a baby or bridal shower or your special day.
This cake was featured in Arizona Bride Magazine. Varying layer sizes combine with hot pink fondant and custom designed paisley print. So stunning and perfect for an outgoing and dynamic bride.